Fair Trade seeks a regulated wage to be paid to coffee farmers, among other benefits and products. A short list:
- Producers receive a fair price - a living wage. For commodities, farmers receive a stable, minimum price.
- Forced labor and exploitative child labor are not allowed
- Buyers and producers trade under direct long-term relationships
- Producers have access to financial and technical assistance
- Sustainable production techniques are encouraged
- Working conditions are healthy and safe
- Equal employment opportunities are provided for all
- All aspects of trade and production are open to public accountability
Read more about it here.
Related post: Coffee Talk